Dear LSU School of Medicine Faculty and Visitors:
Welcome to the School of Medicine (SOM) Faculty Assembly website.
All faculty members are encouraged to participate in the organization’s activities by attending meetings or identifying issues of interest to the SOM faculty either in person or via a Delegate.
2013 - 2014 Faculty Assembly Report
The Faculty Assembly is the elected representative body of the Medical School faculty. It comprises 18 Delegates from clinical departments and 12 from basic science departments. 1 delegate must be from Baton Rouge and 1 must be from Lafayette. The term is 3 years; each year 1/3 of the delegates’ terms end.
Faculty Assembly delegates serve on all SOM standing committees, and work closely with the Dean. The FA Executive board meets with the Dean each month for candid exchanges of ideas and discussion of faculty issues. FA has two voting members on Administrative Council.
Members of the Medical School Faculty Assembly also represent the Medical School on the HSC Faculty Senate. Senators from the Medical School constitute 8 of the 31 Senators.
The Faculty Assembly worked on or participated in the following in 2013-2014:
- The SOM strategic plan for the next 5 years
- The SOM curriculum renewal
- Establishing lecture capture in the classroom
- Fostering enhanced communication between the Assembly and the clinical and basic science departments
- Preparing for the upcoming Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) reaffirmation of accreditation of the HSC and participating in selection of Interprofessional Education for the HSC’s Quality Enhancement Plan
- Discussion of a social media policy for medical students, residents, fellows, and faculty
- Discussion of the effect of the hospital management transition on our faculty
- Monitoring the progress of the construction of the new hospital
- Assisting the Dean in nominating LSU SOM NO representatives to AAMC CFAS
- Presented the Faculty Assembly Awards.
The FA worked with the Faculty Senate on:
- Issues pertaining to the retirement programs
- Cafeteria in the MEB
Additionally, FA delegates serve on all SOM standing committees, and work closely with the Dean. The FA Executive board meets with the Dean each month for candid exchanges of ideas and discussion of faculty issues.
We are proud to serve the SOM faculty as their voice to the administration and welcome participation by all faculty members. We hope to hear from you about your ideas. Please continue to visit this webpage for updates on the Assembly’s work.
The Assembly Delegate list can be found on this website under “Roster”. Meetings are open to all faculty of the SOM and approved minutes are posted on this website.
As in previous years, we recognize outstanding faculty at our school through the Faculty Assembly Awards for Outstanding Service to the Institution, Outstanding Service to the Community, Outstanding Accomplishment by a Young Faculty Member, and Outstanding Mentor. This year's awardee's are pictured below and listed to the left.
Michael G. Levitzky
President, Faculty Assembly 2013-2014
Department of Physiology
School of Medicine
LSU Health Sciences Center
Pictured from left: Dr. Judy Crabtree (Chair of the Awards Committee); Dr. Taniya de Silva; Dr. Greg Bagby; Dr. William Swartz; Dr. John Wells; and Dr. Michael Levitzky (President of the Faculty Assembly)