Dear LSU Health New Orleans School of Medicine Faculty and Visitors:
Welcome to the School of Medicine (SOM) Faculty Assembly website.
The purpose of the Faculty Assembly is to 1) serve as a representative voice of the faculty; 2) provide a means of communication and make recommendations to the Dean; 3) share responsibility towards accomplishing the mission of the LSUHSC-SOM-NO; and 4) maintain a liaison with the Chancellor. Subsequently, the Assembly aims to strengthen the mission of the School of Medicine by supporting and maintaining excellence in all aspects of medical education, research, and patient care as provided by LSU Health Sciences Center – New Orleans. The Faculty Assembly, per its bylaws, helps to guide LSU Health Sciences Center – New Orleans towards becoming a regional and national leader in the healthcare arena by pursuing a passion for innovative research, outstanding medical education and patient care, and community outreach.
General meetings of the Assembly are open. All faculty are welcome to attend and encouraged to participate in identifying areas of interest to be discussed with the Dean.
Who We Are:
The Faculty Assembly is the elected representative body of the SOM faculty. It is comprised of 24 Delegates from the clinical departments and 12 from the basic science departments. 1 delegate must be from Baton Rouge and 1 must be from Lafayette. The term is 3 years (each year 1/3 of the delegates’ terms end). Delegates from the Faculty Assembly (FA) serve on all SOM standing committees and work closely with the Dean. The FA Executive Board meets with the Dean each month for candid exchanges of ideas and discussion of faculty issues. The Assembly has two voting members on Administrative Council. Delegates also represent the SOM on the Faculty Senate and constitute 8 of the 31 Senators.
The Assembly delegate list can be found on this website under “Roster”.
When We Meet:
The Assembly is governed by Bylaws and meets the first Thursday of every month except July. The Bylaws, meeting dates and approved minutes are posted on this website.
The Faculty Assembly worked on or participated in the following during 2014-2015:
- Revisions to the Bylaws to increase faculty representation on the Assembly through the election process
- SOM curriculum renewal
- Improving communication between the Assembly and the clinical / basic science departments
- Discussions on the effects of the hospital management transition to our faculty
- Monitoring the progress of construction and opening of the new University Medical Center
- Presentation of Faculty Assembly Awards and recognition of faculty achievements at the First Annual Dean’s Reception in Spring 2015
- Collaborating with the Faculty Senate on recycling and salary compression.
The Faculty Assembly will address the following in 2015-2016:
- Growth and development of LSU Health services at the new University Medical Center
- Campus construction and facilities improvements
- Campus safety
- Website and Faculty Assembly roster update
- Fostering communication among departments within the School of Medicine
- Solicitation of nominations and selection of recipients for SOM Faculty Assembly awards
As in previous years, we recognized outstanding faculty at our school through the Faculty Assembly Awards for Outstanding Service to the Institution, Outstanding Service to the Community, Outstanding Accomplishment by a Young Faculty Member, and Outstanding Mentor. This year's winners are pictured below and listed to the left.
We are proud to serve the SOM faculty as their voice to the administration and welcome participation by all faculty members. We hope to hear from you about your ideas. Please continue to visit this webpage for updates on the Assembly’s work.
Lee Engel MD, PhD, FACP
President, Faculty Assembly 2015-2016
Department of Internal Medicine Section of Hospitalist Medicine
School of Medicine
Recipients of the Faculty Assembly Awards pictured from left: Sonia Gasparini, Dean Steve Nelson, Andrew Hollenbach, Paulo Rodriguez, Stacey Holman (Faculty Assembly President, 2014-15).