|Administration||Basic Sciences||Clinical Sciences||Centers of Excellence|
Rural Family Medicine Residency at LSU Bogalusa Medical Center
Rural Family Medicine Residency Program at LSU Bogalusa Medical Center
We are an institutionally-sponsored rural Family Medicine residency training program accredited through LSU School of Medicine – New Orleans. As a rural training program, we are located two hours north of New Orleans in the community of Bogalusa, LA, population 13,000. Our unopposed residency program is clinically aligned with the LSU Bogalusa Medical Center, one of LSU’s training hospitals. We have 18 residency positions, with plans to grow to 24 spots in the next few years. The residency expansion has been funded by a five-year $3.12 million grant from the Health Resources and Service Administration (HRSA).
Candidate applications for the upcoming academic year must be made through the Electronic Residency Applications System, ERAS no later than December 1, 2013.
To be considered for an interview with our program, non-LSU School of Medicine applicants must:
1) be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the US (must actually hold a green card);
2) have successfully passed USMLE Step tests with a score of 85 or higher in no more than 2 attempts (candidate’s certified “USMLE Official Transcript of Scores” must be on file in ERAS);
3) hold an ECFMG certificate, if applicable;
4) have graduated from medical school in the past three years;
5) have completed a minimum of six months of clinical rotations as a medical student in the US during the previous two years, two of which must have been in Family Medicine.
The new Labor and Deliver unit at our primary training hospital is operational, and construction is complete on the expansion to the Family Medicine Center, which includes clinical treatment areas, new residency administration areas as well as resident office spaces, the resident lounge, and physician on-call sleeping quarters.