Jiucheng He, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Research, Neuroscience and Ophthalmology
2020 Gravier Street, Suite D
New Orleans, LA 70112
Phone: (504) 599-0890
1983: M.D. - Hengyang Medical College of Nanhua University
1988: M.S. - Shanxi Medical University
1999: Ph.D. - Kyoto Prefectuaral University of Medicine
2001-2004: Postdoc - LSUHSC Neuroscience Center of Excellence
1988 to 2001: Member of Chinese Ophthalmological Society
1994 to 1999: Member of Japan Cornea Society
Since 1997: Member of Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
mechanisms of corneal wound healing, corneal myofibroblast biology
- The molecular and cellular mechanisms of corneal wound healing
- The molecular mechanisms of corneal nerve regeneration after injury
- Human corneal nerve architecture in normal and disease conditions
The roles of stromal cells and corneal nerves in maintaining corneal transparency and integrity.
2007 – present: Research Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology and Neuroscience; Neuroscience Center of Excellence, LSUHSC, New Orleans, LA
2005-2007: Research Instructor of Ophthalmology and Neuroscience; Neuroscience Center of Excellence, LSU HSC, New Orleans, LA
2001-2004: Postdoc, Neuroscience Center of Excellence, LSU HSC, New Orleans, LA
1999-2001: Associate Professor and Deputy Director of Laboratory, Beijing Institute of Ophthalmology, Beijing, China
1994-1995: SASAKAWA Medical Scholarship Visitor in the Department of Ophthalmology of Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
1990-1994: Physician-in-charge and lecturer of Ophthalmology in the First Affiliated Hospital of University of South China. Hengyang, China
1988-1989: Cornea Fellow in the Eyebank Center of Gongzhou Medical College. Gongzhou, China
1985-1988: Resident and Postgraduate in the Department of Ophthalmology in the SecondAffiliated Hospital of Sanxi Medical University, Taiyuan, China
1983-1985: Resident in the First Affiliated Hospital of University of South China
Recent Publications (2008 to now):
- MS Cortina, Jiucheng He, Tiffany Russ, Nicolas G. Bazan and Haydee E.P. Bazan. Neuroprotectin D1 (NPD1) restores corneal nerve integrity and function after damage from experimental surgery. IOVS 54:6:4109-4116, 2013.
Jiucheng He , Haydee E.P. Bazan. Corneal nerve architecture in a donor with unilateral corneal epithelial basement membrane dystrophy. Ophthalmic Res 2013;49(1):185-191.
- Kakazu AH#, Jiucheng He#, Kenchegowda S, Haydee E.P. Bazan. Lipoxin A4 inhibits platelet-activating factor inflammatory response and stimulates corneal wound healing of injuries that compromise the stroma. Exp Eye Res 2012; 103: 9-16. PMID: 22828048. (# equal contribution).
- Kenchegowda S, Jiucheng He , Haydee E.P. Bazan. Involvement of pigment epithelium-derived factor, docosahexaenoic acid and neuroprotectin D1 in corneal inflammation and nerve integrity after refractive surgery.Prostaglandins Leukotrienes Essent. Fatty Acids 2013; 88(1):27-31. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.plefa.2012.03.010.
Jiucheng He , Haydee E.P. Bazan. Mapping the nerve architecture of diabetic human corneas.Ophthalmology2012; 119: 956–964. PMID: 22325488
- MS Cortina, Jiucheng He, Na Li, Nicolas G. Bazan and Haydee E.P. Bazan. Recovery of corneal sensitivity, CGRP positive nerves and increased wound healing are induced by PEDF plus DHA after experimental surgery. Arch Ophthalmol. 2012; 130 (1):76-83. PMID: 2191165.
Jiucheng He #, Kakazu AH#., Nicolas G. Bazan and Haydee E.P. Bazan. Aspirin-triggered lipoxin A4 (epi-LXA4) increases the endothelial viability of human corneas storage in Optisol-GS. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2011; 27(3):235-41. PMID: 21548792 (# equal contribution).
Jiucheng He , JP Eastlack, Haydee E.P. Bazan. The induction of an angiogenic response by platelet-activating factor (PAF) in corneal myofibroblasts. Curr Eye Res 2010; 35(12): 1063-1071. PMID: 20961214
- Na Li, Jiucheng He, C. Eric Schwartz, Per Gjorstrup, Haydee E.P.Bazan. Resolvin E1 (RvE1 / RX-10001) improves tear production and decreases inflammation in a dry eye mouse model. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2010; 26: 431-439. PMID: 20874497
Jiucheng He , Nicolas G. Bazan and Haydee E.P. Bazan. Mapping the entire human corneal nerve architecture. Exp Eye Res 2010; 91: 513-523. PMID: 20650270
Jiucheng He , Haydee E.P. Bazan. Omega-3 fatty acids in dry eye and corneal nerve regeneration after refractive surgery. Prostaglandins Leukotrienes Essent. Fatty Acids 2010; 82: 319–325. PMID: 20202804
Esquenazi Salomon, Jiucheng He, Na Li, and Haydee E.P. Bazan. Immunofluoresence of rabbit corneas after collagen cross-linking treatment with riboflavin and ultraviolet A. Cornea.2010; 29: 412-417. PMID: 20164740.
- MS Cortina, Jiucheng He, Na Li, Nicolas G. Bazan and Haydee E.P. Bazan. PEDF plus DHA induces neuroprotectin D1 synthesis and corneal nerve regeneration after experimental surgery. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010; 51(2): 804-810. PMID: 19797230
Esquenazi Salomon,Jiucheng He, Na Li, Nicolas G. Bazan and Haydee E.P. Bazan. A novel platelet activating factor receptor antagonist reduces cell infiltration and expression of inflammatory mediators in mice exposed to desiccating conditions after PRK. Clin Dev Immunol. 2009: 138513. Published online 2009 December 9. doi: 10.1155/2009/ 138513. PMID: 20049336
Esquenazi Salomon , Esquenazi I, Grunstein L, Jiucheng He, Haydee E.P. Bazan. Immunohistological evaluation of the healing response at the flap interface in patients with LASIK ectasia requiring penetrating keratoplasty. J Refract Surg. 2009 Aug; 25(8):739-46. PMID: 19714799
Jiucheng He , Haydee E.P. Bazan: Epidermal growth factor (EGF) Synergism with TGF-beta1 via PI-3 kinase activity in corneal keratocyte differentiation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008; 49: 2936-2945. PMID: 18579759
R01 EY019465-04 (PI. Haydee Bazan) 09/01/2012-05/31/17
NIH/ National Eye Institute $237,600 (no cost extension)
Lipid Mediators in Corneal Nerve Regeneration
The major goal of this project focuses on enhancing the regeneration of corneal nerves damaged after corneal surgery procedures to decrease the incidence of postoperative complications by providing innovative understanding of the role lipid cell signaling mechanisms play after injury.
Role on project: Co-investigator
1P30GM103340-01A1 (Bazan, N.G.) 09/01/2012-05/31/17
NIH/NIGMS $50,000 (pilot project)
Mentoring Neuroscience in Louisiana: A Biomedical Program to Enhance Neuroscience
The major goal of this project focuses on establishing a rabbit model of diabetes to test the hypothesis that in a rabbit model of diabetes, corneal nerves are altered in a similar manner as in human corneas, and furthermore to test the hypothesis that diabetic corneas treated with PEDF plus DHA will show an increase in corneal nerve surface area and corneal sensitivity.
Role: PI of pilot project for 11/01/12-05/31/13. PI’s effort is not supported.