Department History

Founded in 1931, the Department of Pediatrics at the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in New Orleans grew in the 1980s and '90s from a small group of 15 faculty members to over 80 physicians representing various subspecialties. Together with research faculty and associates and administrative staff, the Department today has over 220 permanent members.

The Department of Pediatrics trains approximately 80 residents each year and works closely with the Department of Medicine to train residents in Medicine/Pediatrics. Research activities are carried out at the LSU School of Medicine in downtown New Orleans and at the The Research Institute for Children, a joint development with Children’s Hospital of New Orleans.

Clinical faculty practice and teach at Children’s Hospital of New Orleans, and several other hospitals and clinics throughout Louisiana. Faculty members are also involved in the activities of the LSUHSC Centers of Excellence in Cancer Research, Genetics, and Gene Therapy.