Admission & Application Information
Admission Procedures and Requirements
The department annually reviews applications for admission to the graduate program in Pharmacology. Students are normally admitted during the fall semester, but under extraordinary circumstances applicants may be considered for admissions at other times of the academic year.
The requirements for admission to the graduate program in Pharmacology include:
- a baccalaureate degree from an approved college or university
- a grade point average of 3.0 or higher for undergraduate work, or in the case of advanced students, a grade point average of 3.5 or higher for graduate work (in both cases on a 4.0 scale)
- a minimum of 1000 combined verbal and quantitative scores on the GRE
- two letters of recommendation
- a statement of career goals
- for international applicants whose native language is not English, a minimum of 250 on the TOEFL.
- fulfillment of all State and Federal health requirements, including immunizations, as defined by the LSU Health Sciences Center School of Graduate Studies.
- In addition to these requirements, it is recommended that the applicant have completed courses in biology, organic chemistry, physics, cell biology and calculus. The faculty may choose to waive certain minimal requirements provided the application for admission demonstrates exceptional strength in all other aspects.
In addtion to the application materials provided by the Graduate School, please also fill out this form and return it directly to the department.
To obtain additional information you can contact:
Andrew Catling, Ph.D.
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
1901 Perdido St., Box P7 -1
Phone: (504) 568-2222