LSUHSC PREP FAQs
- I want to do an MD/PhD degree or MD degree, is this a good program for me? No, this program is designed to assist students with acceptance into a PhD degree program.
- Is there an application fee to apply to LSUHSC PREP? No, there is no application fee.
- Can I start later if I have previous commitment? No, you must start on the date assigned, typically the first Monday in June. You must attend orientation. The program begins immediately on the first day. If moving into student housing, you must arrive at least two business days before the program begins to get your ID and check in to housing. You will not have time on your first day of the program, the day lasts 7:30am-5pm.
- What hours will I be on campus? Typically you will be on campus regular business hours between 8am-5pm in the lab, class or seminars. It is possible that you may have to work from time to time outside of business hours and/or on weekends depending on your research and lab. Your mentor will help you set your daily schedule.
- Am I required to attend workshops and seminars? Yes, part of the PREP program is to learn the skills that are taught in workshops and seminars. During orientation you will receive a binder with the full list of workshops scheduled for the year. The workshops are typically recurring on the same day and time of the week during the year. Your mentor is fully aware of this schedule.
- Does LSUHSC have on campus housing? Yes, visit our website for information https://www.lsuhsc.edu/administration/ae/housing.aspx
- When can I move into campus housing? You can only check in to receive your key for on-campus housing Monday-Friday during business hours. You are free to move in any time after that, however no one is available on weekends to check in to receive your key. If the program starts on a Monday, plan on arriving Thursday before (at the latest) to check in to get your key.
- On Campus housing says I need an LSUHSC ID to move in, how/where do I get it? Department of Physiology Business Manager will send paperwork to be completed and signed prior to arriving. This paperwork will be used to set up getting your ID. You will need to arrive before the first day the program starts to get your ID and move in. ID office is only open Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm. If the program starts on Monday, plan to arrive the Thursday before to get your ID and check in to housing to get your key.
- Is there residential housing near campus? Yes, neighborhoods close to campus are New Orleans CBD and New Orleans Mid City. Please do your research on safety for the area in which you are looking.
- Is there parking on campus? Yes, there are secured parking lots that require with a small monthly fee deducted from your paycheck. There is also limited on the street parking.
- What type of public transportation is available? LSUHSC is located on a public bus line which runs through the entire city of New Orleans and campus is located one block off the New Orleans Streetcar Canal Street line (visit RTA – norta.com for routes, costs and schedules).
- What is LSUHSC’s address? For transportation purposes, use 425 South Roman Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (this will take you to the parking garage in front of campus).
Pay and Benefits
- Does LSUHSC offer health insurance? Yes, visit our website for information https://www.lsuhsc.edu/orgs/studenthealth/insurance/
- Is there student health clinic on campus? Yes, there are several health clinics that student can visit on and off campus. Visit our website for locations, times, phone numbers https://www.lsuhsc.edu/orgs/studenthealth/
- When do I receive my monthly stipend? Typically at the end of each month.
- When do I receive my first monthly stipend? Typically, you will receive your first monthly stipend at the end of June.
- What are University Holidays? Martin Luther King, Jr Day, Mardi Gras Day, Good Friday, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and day after, December 24 through January 1
- Am I allowed to take vacation time? Yes
- Do I get paid for vacation time?Yes, with approval from your research mentor and program director.
- Am I allowed Sick Leave? Yes
- Do I get paid for sick leave? Yes, with approval from your research mentor and program director.
- Do I have to pay tuition for courses completed throughout the program? No, you do not pay tuition or fees for courses.
- Whom do I contact for questions about the program? Dr. Lisa Harrison-Bernard, PREP Director firstname.lastname@example.org
- Whom do I contact for administrative help or questions? Melissa Prestwood, PREP Administrator email@example.com
- Whom do I contact for benefits and pay questions? Physiology Department Business Manager
- Whom do I contact for corrections to my timesheet, time off? Leslie Brennan, Physiology Department Assistant Business Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
- Whom can I speak with if I am dealing with any uncomfortable situation at LSUHSC, my lab, my mentor, etc.? Any of the PREP Directorship or Coordinators. We are here to help you feel comfortable and safe.
Tips for Dorm living at LSUHSC-NO from past scholars
- Enjoy the Process!
The very first thing that I advise is to enjoy the journey. Moving isn’t easy, especially when you're doing it alone. It’s completely normal to be nervous moving to a new city/state, especially one you’ve never been to before. All I can say is trust and enjoy the process. It may take a few days, weeks, maybe even months to finally get settled, but you will adjust. There is really no place like New Orleans! : )
- Student ID
Once you arrive on campus, you're going to want to finish your paperwork and obtain a student ID. Your student ID will grant you access to most of the buildings on campus. If you are staying on campus, you will not be able to enter the dorm, access the elevator, or even enter the student crosswalks without your student ID badge. You will obtain a student ID from Human Resources in the Resource Center Building on 433 Bolivar Street, New Orleans, LA 70112. For those of you flying in to New Orleans, you will be picked up from the airport, taken to get your ID, and escorted to the dorm upon arrival.
- The Dorm Room
The rooms in Stanislaus Hall range from spacious to small. The rooms come fully furnished with two small dressers, two cabinets, a twin size bed, desk, and a chair. You are allowed to rearrange the furniture in the room anyway you’d like. You may want to invest in cleaning supplies for your room and the bathroom before you begin unpacking. The bathroom is shared between your room and your neighbor. You’re also going to need two sets of bathroom curtains with hooks. One to cover the toilet area and one to cover the shower area. You may be able to coordinate this with your neighbor. Other important things to bring for your room are twin size sheets, a comforter, and pillows. I also recommend purchasing a mattress pad to cover the mattress. If you cannot bring these items with you, you can purchase them at the local Walmart or order them online.
- Study Rooms, Laundry, and Wellness Center Gym
Each floor of the dorm has a study room and laundry room. The washing machines and dryers currently cost $1.50. The laundry machine takes quarters or you can sign up to pay by credit card through an app on your phone. The gym is also located in Stanislaus on the third and fourth floor. As a student at LSUHSC your membership is free. Signing up for access to the gym is an easy process and can be done at the front desk of the 3rd floor of Stanislaus Hall.
- Kitchen Appliances
Stanislaus isn't the easiest place to live mainly because the kitchen does not have a stove or refrigerator which makes cooking difficult. There are a few meal plan services in the area, however, the quality of the food and on time delivery is hard in a dorm setting. It is best to purchase items such as a mini fridge, electric skillet, instant pot/slow cooker and/or toaster oven from one of the local Walmarts in the area. You can also order from UberEats and other online food services during the times you can’t get to the store. The school cafeteria serves reasonably priced breakfast and lunch, Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 1:30 pm.
- Transportation in New Orleans
Living in New Orleans without a car can be challenging. Most people in the area travel by car or bicycle. One of the benefits of being on campus, is the walk to work takes less than 5 minutes. While living in the dorm, you will need to make frequent trips to purchase food. You can use both the Lyft and Uber apps to get around the city. The only downside to this is the cost adds up and your limited to the amount of groceries you can carry. The more groceries you purchase, the harder it will be to transport them back to the dorm. If you are bringing a car, you will need to purchase a parking pass. The pass is around $155 for the year.
The mailing address for the Stanislaus Hall is:
450A South Claiborne
New Orleans, LA 70112
If you plan on sending stuff before you arrive, it's ok to send the package without your room number. The mail is received by the dorm director or the resident assistant staff in the main office. Call before shipping any packages to make sure they will accept them.
- Grocery Stores, Restaurants, and Shops
Below is a list of a few places frequently visited for groceries, quick meals, and clothes while staying on campus in Stanislaus Hall :
Rouses: 701 Baronne St, New Orleans, LA 70113
This is the closest local grocery store.
Walmart: 1901 Tchoupitoulas St, New Orleans, LA 70130
This is the closest Walmart.
Dollar General: 230 N Broad St, New Orleans, LA 70119
Save a Lot: 2841 S Claiborne Ave Suite B, New Orleans, LA 70125
CVS: 939 Girod St, New Orleans, LA 70113
Walgreens: 4001 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70119
There are closer pharmacy stores, however the area is not too safe.
Quick Eats in the Central Business District:
Johnny Sanchez and Reginelli’s: 930 Poydras St, New Orleans, LA 70112
Blaze Pizza: 611 O'Keefe Ave, New Orleans, LA 70113
The Company Burger: 611 O'Keefe Ave C7, New Orleans, LA 70113
Jimmy Johns: 900 Poydras St, New Orleans, LA 70112
Ross Dress for Less: 2900 S Claiborne Ave, New Orleans, LA 70115
Oakwood Mall: 197 Westbank Expy, Gretna, LA 70053