Thomas E. Lallier, Ph.D.
Thomas E. Lallier, Ph.D.
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy
1100 Florida Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70112
Phone: (504) 619-8719
Fax: (504) 619-8741
BA Biology - 1985
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
PhD Developmental and Cell Biology - 1991
University of California, Irvine, CA
Our laboratory investigates the cellular mechanisms underlying connective tissue healing within the oral cavity. This includes the effects of several commonly used substances that can influence periodontal disease and tissue remodeling, including; smoking, vaping, smokeless tobacco, caffeine, aspirin, hypoxia, and aging.
We are currently using an in vitro model system to examine how these factors influence cell adhesion, cell motility and the ability of these cells to exert contractile forces on collagen gels. In this system we are examining extracellular matrix (ECM) synthesis and secretion (of collagens and other matrix glycoproteins and proteoglycans), cell-ECM receptors (integrins) and matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs). We also examine the differentiation of these cells and the regulation of osteogenesis by such factors as BMPs, TGFβ1, and GDF5. Our system focuses on gingival and periodontal ligament fibroblasts as a means to examine the reparative properties of connective tissue cells on tissue regeneration.
- Our current findings indicate that cigarette smoke extracts (CSE) selectively alters the expression of several collagens and MMPs, reducing collagen gel contraction and cell motility without perturbing cell adhesion. Attachment of these cells to specific ECM proteins (e.g. fibronectin and collagen Type I) significantly increased their resistance to the cytotoxic effects of CSE.
- In contrast, nicotine, vaping and smokeless tobacco extracts are significantly less cytotoxic than the combustion products of cigarettes (i.e. CSE).
- Physiological relevant concentrations of aspirin increase the sensitivity of these connective tissue to CSE, while hypoxia decreases its cytotoxicity.
- We have also examined the direct cellular interactions of fibroblasts and osteoblasts with modified titanium implant surfaces, as well as other commonly used dental materials (including composites and sealants).
Periodontal ligament, gingival, fibroblast, extracellular matrix, tissue remodeling, tobacco, cigarette smoke, vaping, caffeine
General Histology – Dental - Course Director
Oral Histology – Dental - Course Director
General and Oral Histology – Dental Hygiene - Course Director
Advanced Oral Biophysiology – Dental Residents – Course Director
Cell Biology and Microanatomy – Medical - Instructor
Clinical Skills Integration – Medical – Group Leader
Dental Rounds – Dental – Group Leader
Research Methods – Dental Residents – Group Leader
Committees & Administrative Responsibilities
- LSUHSC - Chemical Safety Committee, Chair
- LSUSD - Curriculum Committee, Chair
- LSUSD - Dental Admissions Committee
- LSUSD - Strategic Planning Committee
- LSUSD - Outcomes Assessment Committee
- LSUSD - Faculty Development Committee
- LSUSD - Research Council
- LSUSD - American Dental Education Association – Commission on Change and Innovation – LSUSD Liaison
- LSUSM - Council on Student Professional Conduct
- LSUSM - Clinical Anatomy Committee, Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy
- LSUSM - Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy Committee on Faculty Recruitment
- LSUSD – Coordinator of Student Research
- LSUSD – Director of Biomedical Research Facilities
Lallier, T.E., Moylan, J.T., Maturin, E. (2017) Greater Sensitivity of Oral Fibroblasts to Smoked vs. Smokeless Tobacco. J Periodontics (Accepted 2017-0629)
Wiewiora, C., Armbruster, P., Lallier, T., Ballard, R. (2017). Effectiveness of an Extended Contact Varnish (Vanish XTTM) in Reducing the Development of White Spot Lesions During Orthodontic Treatment: An In Vitro Study. Oral health and Preventative Dentistry (Accepted 2017-0127)
Herman, J.L., Wang, Y., Lilly, E., Lallier, T., Hamdan, S., Xu, X., Fidel, P.F., Noverr, M.C. (2017) Synthesis, Antifungal Activity, and Biocompatibility of novel DABCO Compounds and DABCO containing Denture Base Resins. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017 Mar 24;61(4). pii: e02575-16. doi: 10.1128/AAC.02575-16.
Lallier, T.E., Maturin, E., Brady, M., Stoute, D., Ward, T. (2015). Resistance to Cigarette Smoke is Increased in PDL Cells by Attachment to Collagen and Fibronectin. J Periodontology 2015 86(1):91-100. doi: 10.1902/jop.2014.140319.
Lallier, TE. (2014) Introducing Evidence Based Dentistry to Dental Students using Histology. J Dent Educ 78 (3): 380-388.
Accardo, C., Himel, V.T., and Lallier, TE. (2014). A Novel GuttaFlow Sealer Supports Cell Survival and Attachment. J Endodontics 40(2):231-4. doi: 10.1016/j.joen.2013.08.029. Epub 2013 Oct 15.
Aasen, K.L., Bergeron, B.E., Roberts, M.D., Himel, V.T, Lallier, T.E., and Sabey, K.A. (2013). Comparison of isthmus debris removal using three different irrigation techniques. Endodontic Practice 6(4)
Mitchell, Q., Jeansonne, B.G., Stoute, D., and Lallier, T.E. (2013). Electrochemical Dissolution of NiTi Endo Files Induces PDL Cell Death. J Endodontics 39(5):679-84. doi: 10.1016/j.joen.2012.12.013. Epub 2013 Jan 27.
Macway, S., Lallier, T.E. (2013). Pedialyte® promotes periodontal ligament cell survival and motility. J Endodontics 39(2) 202-207. doi: 10.1016/j.joen.2012.09.021. Epub 2012 Nov 17.
Tsourounakis, I., Palaiologou, A., Stoute, D., Maney, P., Lallier, T.E. (2013). Dilute Essential Oil Mouthwashes Promote Gingival Fibroblast Migration. J. Periodontology. Aug;84(8):1211-20. doi: 10.1902/jop.2012.120312. Epub 2012 Oct 29.
Fan, Y., Wen, Z.T., Sun, Z., Hagan, J.L, Lallier, T., Liao, S., Xu, X. (2013). Novel amelogenin-releasing hydrogel for remineralization of enamel artificial caries. J Bioact Compat Polym. 27(6):585-603.
Wang, Y., Samoei, G.K., Lallier, T.E., and Xu .X. (2013) Synthesis and Characterization of New Antibacterial Fluoride-Releasing Monomer and Dental Composite ACS Macro Letters. 2(1):59-62.
Bulmanski, Z., Brady, M. Stoute, D., and Lallier, T.E. (2012). Cigarette Smoke Extract Induces Select MMP and Integrin Expression in Periodontal Ligament Fibroblasts. J Periodontology 83(6):787-96. doi: 10.1902/jop.2011.110395. Epub 2011 Nov 28.
Palaiologou, A., Stoute, D., Fan, Y. and Lallier, T.E. (2012). Modifications of Titanium Surfaces Alter Periodontal Cell Attachment and Motility. J. Periodontology. 83:1 90-100. doi: 10.1902/jop.2011.100733. Epub 2011 Apr 12.
Wu, R., Zhang, J.F., Fan, Y., Stoute, D., Lallier, T.E., and Xu, X. (2011) Reactive electrospinning and biodegradation of cross-linked methacrylated polycarbonate nanofibers. Biomedical Materials 6 (3):035004. doi: 10.1088/1748-6041/6/3/035004. Epub 2011 Apr 15.
Spencer, A.Y. and Lallier, T.E., (2009). Mechanical Tension Alters Semaphorin Expression in the Periodontium. J Periodontology 80(10): 1665-1673. doi: 10.1902/jop.2009.090212.