Thank you for your interest in our program!
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact our residency program coordinator Katherine Dickens here: email@example.com
Each year we have 12 categorical PGY-1 openings. We accept applications through ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Services) only. Look for the Louisiana State University/Ochsner Clinic Foundation Program on ERAS. Please see the ERAS timeline for more information.
The following materials are required for a completed application:
- Application through ERAS
- Personal statement
- Official medical school transcript & Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE).
- 3 or 4 letters of recommendation from faculty (letters do not have to be all from psychiatry faculty).
- Step 1 or COMLEX 1 completed with score released in ERAS
- Note: Step 2 CS & CK or COMLEX 2CE & 2PE are not required for interview, however are required prior to final ranking for the Match
We schedule as many interviews as possible for applicants to visit us on select Fridays from November through the end of January.
We will continue to follow AAMC and ACGME recommendations as they relate to the COVID-19 Pandemic. These guidelines dictate that interviews for the 2021-2022 cycle will be in virtual.
Frequently Asked Questions
What was your program’s response to the covid pandemic?
- Residents were never shifted to other services.
- Residents received a 2% pay raise.
- All services & clinics converted to telemedicine.
- Phones, walkie-talkies, and iPads were available so residents never had to go into a covid+ room.
- Transitioned scheduling to a backup system so fewest number of residents were needed on each service at a time.
- Free and confidential process groups were offered to residents by our psychology department.
What was your program’s response to the recent highlighting of racial inequities?
The Diversity & Equity Committee was formed, comprising various faculty and resident representatives who will have direct advisory authority in curriculum and applications.
Do you have a step 1 or 2 score cutoff?
No, we do not have a step cutoff.
Are you allowed to moonlight?
Yes, we even have internal moonlighting opportunities for all PGY2+ residents in good academic standing, and there are many external moonlighting opportunities in the area.
Is this program family friendly?
Yes! 1 in 4 of our residents have kids. Our program emphasizes the work/home balance and is very accommodating. Our call schedule is very light and the schedule is made by the residents themselves.
What is the connection between LSU and Ochsner?
Previously separate residency programs, in July 1999, the Psychiatry Residency Program of Ochsner Clinic Foundation and Louisiana State University merged to offer an opportunity to train in a stimulating environment where teaching and clinical practice are evenly balanced.
Do you have any videos of the campus?