The LSU Health Section of Community and Population Medicine and Center for Healthcare Value and Equity are committed to anti-racism in our daily work to advance health equity. Black Lives Matter. We commit to community-partnered participatory research, policy contributions, clinical services, and education to advance this critical work with our community, policy, and academic partners in Louisiana and nationally. We further commit to support the vision of LSU Health as spelled out by Chancellor Hollier (view the Chancellor's June 12, 2020 statement here).
Welcome to the Section of Community and Population Medicine in the Department of Medicine of LSU School of Medicine. Our Section aims to improve the health of communities and populations through innovation and collaborative partnerships in research, education, clinical work, and community service.
Research in the Section adheres to the principles of Community Partnered Participatory Research (CPPR)1-3. CPPR emphasizes equity, transparency, and community representation co-leadership in all phases of research. Our partnered research to date has sought to develop interventions that improve health outcomes and resilience while addressing adverse risk factors in under-resourced communities and among populations facing physical or behavioral health and healthcare inequities.
- Benjamin F. Springgate, MD, MPH - Section Chief
- Gala True, PhD - Associate Professor of Research
- Marcus Bachhuber, MD, MPH - Assistant Professor of Clincial Medicine
- Pooja Mehta, MD, MSHP, FACOG - Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
- Ashley Wennerstrom, PhD, MPH - Associate Professor of Research
- Amanda M. Raines, PhD - Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
- Tivonsheia Broussard, MPA - Department Coordinator
- Paul Matthew Gement, MFIN - Assistant Business Manager
- Jill Hancock, MPH - Research Coordinator, C-LEARN
- Isha Matta, MPH - Program Manager, Education
- Olivia K. Sugarman, MPH - Program Manager, Research and Evaluation
1. Wells K, Jones L. “Research” in Community-Partnered, Participatory Research. JAMA. 2009;302(3):320–321. doi:10.1001/jama.2009.1033
2. www.cpprn.org (2017)
3. http://communitypartnersincare.org/community-partnered-participatory-research-cppr/ (2017)