Pain Management Fellowship
Welcome to Pain Mangement in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at LSU. We are privileged to serve a very large population at multiple facilities in our community including Univeristy Medical Center of New Orleans, Touro Infirmary, Veterans Affairs Medical Center of New Orleans, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, and Children’s Hospital. By rotating at all of these sites our fellows are able to treat all young and old patient populations with payor sources including Medicare, Medicaid, Private Insurance, Veterans Benefits, and Uninsured. The diversity of pathology and number of patients who provide learning opportunities are incomparable.
How to Apply
Applicants can submit ERAS applications according to the ERAS timeline for December cycle programs.
Please be aware that we will begin scheduling interviews early in the calendar year.
- It is recommended that applications be complete by no later than February 1.
- Interview invitations are sent after February 15.
- Interviews start the first week of May.
The ERAS application should be comprehensive to be competitive, as all information submitted will be considered.
- In addition to the CV, other materials must include the medical school transcript and USMLE and/or COMLEX scores.
- The application must include at least three (3) letters of reference.
- One of these letters must be from your current or past residency program director.
Dates from the Fellowship Match are shown below
06/29/2022: Match Opens
07/20/2022: Ranking Opens
08/24/2022: Quota Change Deadline
09/14/2022: Rank Order List Deadline
9/28/2022: Match Day
NRMP pain medicine fellowship matches, listed under anesthesiology specialty matches.
Interdisplinary Pain Medicine Continuity Clinic
All fellows attend at VA Medical Center every Wednesday afternoon.
- Every Wednesday after Continuity Clinic at Veteran Affairs Medical Center of New Orleans,
- Starting 5/2021, we will have in-person and Zoom available
- Topics in Pain Medicine
- M&M Case Presentations
- Ongoing Research & Quality Improvement Projects
- Vertiflex Lumbar Decompression -- IRB Approved Research Project
- Post-Operative Pain Management in Patient's on Chronic Opioid and/or Benzodiazepine Treatment -- QI Project
- Efficacy of Repeat Radiofrequency Nerve Ablation of the Spine
- Spinal Cord Stimulation at the VA Medical Center of New Orleans
Free Admission to Southern Pain Society's Annual Regional Conference in New Orleans
- All LSU Pain Fellows are presenting posters on October 7-9, 2022 at the Southern Pain Society Meeting!!!
- 4 Days of Paid leave for Educational Conferences
Access to VA, Ochsner, and UMC's Electronic Medical Libraries
- This includes dozens of textbooks and atlases
- If we do not have a particular source for our fellows, then this can be purchased by our VA librarian.
- Monthly in cooperation with Ochsner
- Moderator: Dr. Yashar Eshraghi
- Monthly in cooperation with VA
- Moderator: Dr. Mordecai Potash
Academic Performance Measures
In Training Examination - Pain Medicine
- Administered by American Board of Anesthesiology
- Annually in March
- March 17, 2023
VA Hospital - 7 months
- Outpatient Interdiscplinary Pain Medicine
- Outpatient Interventional Pain Medicine
- Procedures: Transforaminal and interlaminar epidural steroid injections, facet injections, medial branch blocks, peripheral joint injections, trigger point injections, peripheral nerve injections, sympathetic blocks, radiofrequency nerve ablation, spinal cord stimulation trial and implants, vertiflex lumbar decompression, kyphoplasty with spine jack, via disc allograft
LCMC Health (UMC/Touro/CHNOLA/EJGH) - 2 months
- Outpatient Pain Medicine at LSU
- Medical Management of Patients with Chronic Pain
- Outpatient Interventional Pain at EJGH
- Outpatient Intervnetional Pain and Sports Medicine at UMC
- Peripheral Nerve Stimulators for Phantom Limb Pain
- Childrens Hospital of New Orleans (CHNOLA) Hem/Onc Pain Medicine Consults
- University Medical Center /Touro
- Inpatient Pain Medicine Consults
Ochsner Clinic Foundation - 3 months
- Outpatient Pain Medicine
- Interventional and outpatient clinics
- Procedures: Transforaminal and interlaminar epidural steroid injections, facet injections, medial branch blocks, peripheral joint injections, trigger point injections, peripheral nerve injections, sympathetic blocks, radiofrequency nerve ablation, kyphoplasty, spinal cord stimulation trial and implants, dorsal root ganglion stimulation trial and implant, sacroiliac joint fusion, intrathecal pump trial and implants, intracept, peripheral nerve stimulator implant.
- Ochsner Pain Management