You must have a GPA of at least 3.0 for both undergraduate and graduate work, based on a 4-point scale. You must have obtained a baccalaureate degree from a college or university approved by a regional accrediting agency and have been in satisfactory standing at the most recent educational institution attended.
All programs require the following: Official Transcripts, Official Report of GRE Scores, Academic Statement, 2 Letters of Recommendation, and TOEFL scores (for international applicants). Our GRE code is 6600. Our TOEFL code is B886.
The LSU Health Sciences Center at New Orleans is participating in the GradCAS Centralized Application Service (GradCAS) in the 2019-2020 application cycle. Applicants to all of our programs in the School of Graduate Studies will apply online using the GradCAS application system. To learn more about the application experience, visit the GradCAS Applicant Help Center.
- The GradCAS application page: https://gradcas2019.liaisoncas.com/applicant-ux/#/login
- The Applicant Help Center: https://help.liaisonedu.com/GradCAS_Applicant_Help_Center
Official transcripts from each college or university attended should be mailed directly to:
GradCAS Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9217
Watertown, MA 02471
Requirements for the Degree
- Semester Hours - Minimum requirement is 30 semester hours of graduate work, not over six hours of
which is allowed for research and compostion of a thesis, and not more than 2 credit
hours of seminars. At least 15 semester hours must be in graduate courses outside
the medical or dental curriculum. Program requirements will generally exceed these
minimal requirements. Although concentration is required in the major field of interest,
every program should include at least six semester hours of credit in one or more
related fields. INTER 220 and INTER 260 are required courses for all students.
- Transfer Credit - Candidates for the M.S. degree may receive up to 13 hours of transfer credit at
the discretion of the program involved, providing they have completed the courses,
which are comparable to School of Graduate Studies courses in another graduate level
institution, and satisfy the subject matter requirements. No transfer credit is permitted
for course work receiving a grade below B. Transfer of the credit does not reduce
the residency requirement.
- Thesis Instructions - Instructions on the preparation of the thesis may be obtained from the School of Graduate Studies website. For the planned graduation date, the student should check the school calendar date for the final date for the submission of the thesis to the School of Graduate Studies. Final approval of the thesis rests with a committee of not less than 3 graduate faculty members, 1 of whom must be from a department different than the student's department, nominated by the head of the department, and appointed by the dean. The dean may serve as a member or may appoint members to the committee.
Fees for graduation are normally assessed at registration for the semester in which the student intends to graduate.
- Masters degree $50
The fee for a duplicate diploma is $30. This fee is also assessed when a diploma is
ordered and the student does not graduate as scheduled.
A fee of $20 is charged to cover the cost of thesis or dissertation binding.