EDGAR HULL

The idea for an internal medicine interest group at LSU was first conceived in 1999 by one of the school’s medical students.  As the idea became a reality, the group was name the Edgar Hull Society in honor of the late Dr. Edgar Hull.  Since its founding in 1999, the Edgar Hull Society has grown tremendously and is now one of the largest organizations on LSU’s campus.

During his long and distinguished tenure as a Professor of Medicine, Dr. Edgar Hull was known for his warm character and praised as a dedicated educator and a superlative diagnostician.  Born on February 20, 1904 in Pascagoula, Mississippi, Dr. Hull graduated from high school at the age of 15 and Bust_of_Edgar_Hull_MDcompleted his premedical training at LSU.  Upon graduating he enrolled at Tulane Medical School at the young age of 19, where his academic excellence was eventually recognized with an induction into the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.   He graduated medical school in 1927 and continued his training at the Highland Clinic in Shreveport, Louisiana.  He remained there as a staff physician until 1929, when he entered the field of private practice and relocated to Pleasant Hill, Louisiana.

Dr. Hull was a charter member of the LSU School of Medicine faculty, joining the ranks of the new medical school in 1931 as an instructor and quickly worked his way up to Professor of Medicine by 1939.  It was during this time that he was certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine.  He would go on to serve in several leadership positions at the LSU School of Medicine, including the Acting Head of Medicine, Department Chair and Department Head.

A renowned cardiologist, Dr. Edgar Hull was a true leader and a man of vision and tenacity.  In 1945, he foresaw the need for a third medical school in Louisiana and suggested its current location in Shreveport.  He helped develop the LSU Postgraduate School of Medicine and assumed its directorship.  In 1966, Dr. Hull left New Orleans to serve as the first Dean of the LSU School of Medicine in Shreveport.

Dr. Hull retired from academia in 1973 and resumed his role in primary care, retuning to Pascagoula where he continued to make house calls to his former patients.

Dr. Hull left a legacy as being one of the finest, most inspiring professors and physicians to ever serve LSUHSC and Louisiana.  In 1972, Pope Paul VI honored him for his outstanding work in the medical and religious fields by making him a knight of St. Gregory the Great, the highest recognition awarded by the papacy to a layman who is not a head of state.  In 1984, well before the Eminent Scholars Program was created, a group of Dr. Hull’s former students dedicated a professorship in his name to express their affection and respect for him.

In honor of his legacy, the internal medicine interest group at the LSU was named the Edgar Hull Society in 2000.