Dr. Efrain Reisin joined the faculty of Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans in 1982, serving as a Professor of Medicine since 1989, and Chief of the Section of Nephrology and Hypertension since 1999.
He is the author of more than 150 scientific original and review articles and book chapters. Dr. Reisin maintains an active, funded clinical and basic research program in hypertension and kidney diseases. His major research interest is the functional and structural damages caused by obesity, diabetes, and hypertension in the kidney.
In 2010, Dr. Reisin was the recipient of the Tinsley Harrison Award by the American Journal of the Medical Sciences. He sits on the Editorial Board of the AJMS and the JASH, is a section editor of Current Hypertension Reports, and has served as Chairman of the American Society of Nephrology Hypertension Advisory Group since 2010.
Dr. Reisin graduated from the Nacional University of Cordoba, Argentina, completing his residency in Internal Medicine and fellowship in Nephrology at the Tel Hashomer Hospital, affiliated with Tel Aviv University in Israel.
Selected from a total of 152
- Reisin E, Abel R, Modan M, Silverberg DS, Eliahou HE. Effect of weight loss without salt restriction on the reduction of blood pressure in overweight hypertensive patients. N Engl J Med 298:1-6, 1978.
- Reisin E, Frohlich ED. Effects of weight reduction on arterial pressure. J Chron Dis 35:887-891; 1982
- Reisin E, Frohlich ED, Messerli FH, Dreslinski GR, Dunn FH, Jones ME, Batson HM Jr. Cardiovascular changes after weight reduction in obesity hypertension. Ann Intern Med 98:315-319, 1983.
- Reisin E, Wilson JR, Frohlich ED. Hypertension and obesity in rats with ventromedial hypothalamic lesions and low salt intake. J Hypertension 5:173-178, 1987.
- Reisin E. Obesity Hypertension: Non –Pharmacological and Pharmacological Modalities. In Laragh JE, Brenner BM (eds). Hypertension: Pathophysiology Diagnosis and Management. Raven Press pp 2683-2691, 1995.
- Reisin E, Weir MR, Falkner B, Hutchinson HG, Anzalone DA, Tuck ML. Lisinopril versus hydrochlorothiazide in obese hypertensive patients: A multicenter placebo controlled trial (TROPHY). Hypertension 30:140-145, 1997.
- Reisin E. Obesity and Kidney Connection. AJKD 38:1129-1134, 2001.
- Reisin E, Ebenezer PJ, Liao J, Lee BS, Larroque M, Hu Z, Aguilar EA, Morse SA, Francis J. Effect of the HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor rosuvastatin on early chronic kidney injury in obese rats fed with an atherogenic diet. Am J Med Sci 338:301-309, 2009. (2010 Tinsley Harrison Award for best research manuscript by the SSCIand the AJCS.)
- Aronow WS, Fleg JL, Pepine CJ, Artinian NT, Bakris G, Brown AS, Ferdinand KC, Forciea MA, Frishman WH, Jaigobin C, Kostis JB, Mancia G, Oparil S, Ortiz S, Reisin E, et al. ACCF/AHA 2011 Expert Consensus. Document on Hypertension in the Elderly. A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation task Force on Clinical Expert Documents. J Am Coll Cardiol 57:259-352, 2011.
- Reisin E, Graves JW, Yamal JM, Barzilai JI, Pressel SL, Einhorn PT, et al. Blood pressure control and cardiovascular outcomes in normal –weight, over-weight, and obese hypertensive patients treated with three different antihypertensive in ALLHAT. J Hypertension 32:1503-1513; 2014.
- Reisin E, Harris RC, Rahman M. Commentary on the 2014 Blood Pressure Guidelines from the Panel Appointed to the Eight Joint National Committee. (JNC 8) JASN 25:2419-2424, 2014.