Breast Cancer Awareness
- “Testing ISG-15 human defense protein key to cancer treatment”; Interview with Business Standard, India, 2014
- “LSU researcher discovers a possible cause of cancer”; Interview with WGNO-ABC26 local TV channel
- LSUHSC research finds trigger for breast cancer spread”; Interview with Fox 8 local TV channel
- “Medical Researchers Turn to Crowdfunding to Kickstart NovelStudies. By S.Z. Berg for MainStreet, New York.
- Ataxia Telangiectasia: is ISG15 the culprit? Consano: Nonprofit Crowdfunding Medical Research
- Abnormal Protein Turnover May Cause Brain Cell Death, A-T News
- Research New covered by the Healthbeat New Orleans Magazine
- Research Covered by the Biochemistry Current Events
- “LSUHSC research finds trigger for breast cancer spread”; Press release on EurekAlert, an online science news service.
- “Change in immune system 'could increase risk of cancer spreading” Research Covered by the Spire Healthcare
- “ Study finds trigger that possibly spreads breast cancer”; News covered by Breast cancerNews service .
- Trigger for breast cancer spread identified”; News covered by Daily News and Analysis newspaper.
- Indian origin professor's team idetifies breast cancer trigger; News covered by India's leading online and mobile platform
- Shyamal Desai IDs trotein triggering the spread of breast cancer; News covered by India West, US-Indian Newspaper
- LSU team finds defense system flaw in breast cancer patietns; News covered by Medical Daily
- A novel therapeutic target to slow breast cancer cell motility; News covered by Armenian Medical network
- “Morning Headlines: A new therapeutic target for breast cancer”; News covered by the Scientist.
- Researchers discover trigger for breast cancer spread”; News covered by Hope for Cancer.
- “Alteration in ISG15 pathway triggers breast cancer metastasis”; News covered by Grays Medicine
Ataxia Telangiectasia awareness
- Scholarly Briefs: Ataxia Telangiectasia: New insights for the healthcare professionals, 2013 edition, Chapter 1, page 7.
Inventions and Patents:
- Patent Application title: Therapeutic and Diagnostic Method for Ataxia Telangiectasia; Inventor: Desai SD; US patent 9,599,626, Awarded March 2017
- Patent Application Title: Compositions and Methods for Detecting Proteinopathies; Inventor: Desai SD, Non-provisional patent application 15/816,998 is pending and adds to the body of work protected by US patent 9,599,626.
- Leverage Innovation for Technology Transfer) project Desai SD (PI)
Title: Assessing the potential of using ISGylation as a liquid biopsy biomarker for neurodegenerative diseases. 2021-2022
2. LSUHSC-SOM-Internal Research Funding.Desai SD (PI)
Title: Assessing the potential of using ISGylation as a liquid biopsy biomarker for COVID19
Congratulations to Meredith Juncker for earning her PhD degree
Congragulation to Joshua Schwartzenberg for T32 Fellowship
Desai Lab published two back-to-back papers on Mitophagy
- Kim C, Juncker M, Reed R, Haas A, Guidry J, Matunis M, Yang, WC, Schwartzenburg J, Desai SD.SUMOylation of mitofusins: a potential mechanism for perinuclear mitochondrial congression in cells treated with mitochondrial stressors. (2021) BBA-Molecular Biology of Disease,
- Juncker M, Kim C, Reed R, Haas A, Schwartzenburg J, Desai SD. ISG15 attenuates post-translational modifications of mitofusins and congression of damaged mitochondria in ataxia telangiectasia cells (2021) BBA-Molecular Biology of Disease, [