Applications for Medical Students Interested in LSU Residency
Applicants to the LSU Department of Internal Medicine Residency Program must download an application from the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS) web site.
Your ERAS application must be completed and returned to ERAS by November 30th of the year prior to your internship for consideration by LSU.
Applications for International Medical Graduates
We invite international medical graduates to apply via ERAS. To be considered for an interview, they must meet the following requirements:
- Must be ECFMG-certified at the time of application
- Cannot be more than 2 years graduated from medical school
- Must have lived one year (continuously) in the United States
Only United States citizens, permanent residents of the United States and J-1 visa holders sponsored by the ECFMG are eligible for medical residency training at LSUHSC. As noted in Chancellor Memorandum 39 (CM-39), ECFMG sponsorship as a J-1 exchange visitor is the appropriate and only mechanism whereby foreign physicians may enter graduate medical education/training programs at LSU Health Sciences Center.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do you take applicants from outside Louisiana?
A: Yes, we welcome trainees from all over the United States and elsewhere.
Q: What qualifications do you require for International Medical Graduates?
A: IMGs must meet the following qualifications to be eligible for an interview:
- ECFMG-certified at the time of application
- One full year of experience (consecutive 12 months) in United States
- Must be within 2 years of medical school graduation date
- As stated above, only United States citizens, permanent residents of the United States and J-1 visa holders sponsored by the ECFMG are eligible for medical residency training at LSUHSC. As noted in Chancellor Memorandum 39 (CM-39), ECFMG sponsorship as a J-1 exchange visitor is the appropriate and only mechanism whereby foreign physicians may enter graduate medical education/training programs at LSU Health Sciences Center.
- Feel free to apply via ERAS if you meet these requirements
Q: How do I apply?
A: We happily accept all applications via ERAS.
Q: How many letters of recommendation do I need, and from whom?
A: You are required to have a minimum of three letters of recommendation, in addition to your MSPE. It is not mandatory to have a Chairman’s letter, but it is encouraged.
Q: What is the deadline for applications?
A: The application deadline is November 30th. Keep in mind that interview slots fill up quickly, so the earlier you apply, the sooner you can be scheduled for an interview. The program will contact you by email/ERAS message if you are invited to interview.
Q: When are interviews held?
A: We conduct Preliminary and Categorical Medicine interviews on Wednesdays and Thursdays in October, November, December, and January. Prelims interview on Wednesday and Categorical applicants interview on Thursdays.
Q: How do I request an elective/visiting rotation?
A: This is done through VSAS. Visit this link for more information: https://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/student_affairs/electives.aspx
Q: Who do I contact with questions?
A: Email is the preferred method of contact if you have questions not answered on our website. You may contact the Residency Coordinator, Susan Lenoir, at email@example.com. Questions about elective rotations should be directed to the Student Affairs office: https://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/student_affairs/electives.aspx