LSUSOM Pathology Curriculum
The pathology curriculum for medical students is presented in the nine system course blocks in the second year of medical school. These blocks are:
1. Foundations of Disease and Therapy
2. Neuroscience and Diseases of the Neurologic-Psychiatric Systems
3. Diseases and Therapy of the Renal System
4. Diseases and Therapy of the Cardiovascular System
5. Diseases and Therapy of the Pulmonary and Upper Respiratory Systems
6. Diseases and Therapy of the Endocrine and Reproductive Systems
7. Disease and Therapy of the Musculoskeletal and Dermatologic Systems
8. Diseases and Therapy of the Gastrointestinal System
9. Diseases and Therapy of the Hematologic System
Pathology lectures include both anatomic and clinical pathology lectures. Most blocks include a Laboratory testing/Diagnostic toolbox lectures. Educational formats include didactic lectures as well as pre-recorded podcasted lectures posted to Moodle website with in-class clicker sessions for interactive learning. Each block has at least on TBL session which includes Pathology content. Block 9 - the Hematologic system is directed by Pathology faculty.
Pathology content includes:
- Block 1: Introduction to the laboratory; Acute Inflammation; Chronic Inflammation; Intracellular Accumulations & Pigements; Regeneration and Repair; and Neoplasia
- Block 2: Laboratory testing of CSF; Neuronal Injury; Dysmylinating and Demyelinating Disease, Neurologic Vascular Diseaase, and CNS Tumors
- Block 3: Laboratory assessment of the renal system with urinalysis; Glomerular Disease; Acute Kidney Injury; and GU malignancies
- Block 4: Cardiovascular Disease Toolbox, Valvular Disease -Structural & Hemodynamic; Valvular Disease - Adaptation; Vasculitides/Autoimmune/ Connective Tissue Disease; and Cardiac Tumors
- Block 5: Pulmonary Lab Toolbox; Restrictive Lung Disease; Obstructive Lung Disease; Neoplasms of Upper and lower respiratory system
- Block 6: Female reproductive disease including neoplasms; and Male reproductive disease including neoplasms
- Block 7: Musculoskeletal-Deramtology Lab Toolbox; Tumors of soft tissue, bone, & joints; and Skin Tumors
- Block 8: Laboratory evaluation of the Upper GI and Pancreas; pathology of the oral cavity; pathology of esophagus and stomach; pathology of the liver; and pathology of the pancreas and biliary tract.
- Block 9: Lab tool box I (CBC/Smear); Lab tool box II (BM Biopsy/Flow/FISH/Molecular); Nutritional Anemias and Pharmacologic Treatment; Hemolytic anemias and Inherited Erythroid Disorders; Non-neoplastic WBC disorders; Acute Leukemias / Mature Lymphoid Leukemias; Myelodysplastic Syndromes /Aplastic Anemia; Mast cell disorders / Myeloproliferative neoplasms; Approach to Lymphadenopathy (including micro)/Lymphoma/Histiocytic Disorders/Thymus/Spleen; Plasma Cell Disorders; Coagulation and Hemostasis including Pharmacologic Treatments; Blood Banking and Transfusion Medicine.