Pediatric Hospital Medicine rotation
- We have 2-3 inpatient teams (additional team from October - March), called the Purple, Green, and Gold teams.
- Inpatient teams consist of 1 fellow, 2 upper level residents, 2-3 interns, and 3-4 students.
- The PHM teams care for general pediatric patients as well as those with complex medical needs (including tracheostomies and home ventilators), those requiring surgical comanagement, and those requiring certain subspecialty care (for example, Pulmonology, Neurology, and Rheumatology patients).
- All pediatric subspecialties are represented and available for consultation at Children's Hospital New Orleans.
- One PHM month consists of 2 weeks of service (one 7-day week, one 5-day week) and 6-8 admit shifts (a mix of days and nights).
- Admit shifts
- During daytime call, faculty/fellows are in house to see new admissions from the ER and other hospitals, as well as consults from other services.
- Night call is taken from home (7p-7a). Faculty or fellows will sometimes report to
hospital for procedures (such as lumbar puncture) or triaging help for the residents.
- Overnight, senior residents are called by the ER first and will call faculty/fellows if help is needed.
- Faculty/fellows are called first for direct admits or transfers from other hospitals.
Personalized according to the fellow's individual educational and career goals.
The Introduction to Academic Medicine elective is offered early in the first year. It consists of four weeks of introductory experiences with leadership, administration, medical education and teaching, quality improvement/patient safety, and research. We aim to help fellows gain important exposure early on so they can start refining their own short- and long-term goals.
Additional available electives include, but are not limited to:
- QI and Patient Safety
- Medical Education
- Business Administration
- Antimicrobial Stewardship
- Complex Care
- Clinical Informatics
- Subspecialty clinical rotation in any available pediatric subspecialty at LSU/Children's Hospital.