Hugo St. Hilaire MD, DDS, FACS
Associate Professor- Clinical
Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
1542 Tulane Ave. Rm 758A
New Orleans, Louisiana 70112
Phone: (504) 568-4750
Fax: (504) 568-4633
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
2820 Napoleon Ave. Suite 700
New Orleans, LA 70115
Phone: (504) 412-1240
Fax: (504) 899-8496
Answering Service: 877-LSU-DOCS (877-578-3627)
DDS 1996 McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
MD 2001 Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY (2004)
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Louisiana State University, NOLA, (2007)
Craniofacial Surgery, Johns Hopkins Medical Center/University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD (2008)
Dr Hugo St. Hilaire is a practicing Plastic & Reconstructive surgeon as well as a Craniofacial Surgeon. He sees patients at 2820 Napoleon Ave/Baptist Clinics and Children’s Hospital in New Orleans.
He joined the academic medicine practice at LSUHSC in 2008 and is an active member of the Cleft & Craniofacial Team at Children’s Hospital. Dr St. Hilaire, was born and raised in Montreal, Canada. He began his professional career as a resident in Dentistry at the Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, following his graduation from McGill University Faculty of Dentistry. He was immediately attracted to the surgical field which led him to enroll in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at The Mount Sinai Medical Center. There, he developed an interest in complex maxillofacial reconstruction. From that point, it became clear to him that microsurgical techniques are essential in complex craniomaxillofacial reconstruction and in an attempt to provide the best care to his patient pursued further training in Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at Louisiana State University. He had the opportunity to develop a strong microsurgical background at LSU, learning from Dr Charles L Dupin and Dr Robert Allen, both pionners in microsurgery. Dr St. Hilaire, then enrolled in a Craniofacial Fellowship at the reputable Johns Hopkins Medical Center. Under the guidance of Dr Paul Manson and Dr Eduardo Rodriguez he was able to refine his adult and pediatric craniofacial as well as microsurgical skills. His unique background provides him with tools to tackle the most complex craniofacial problems.
Dr St. Hilaire is a Diplomate of the American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery and Board Certified in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery . His research interests include epidemiology of craniomaxillofacial trauma, physiology of free tissue transfer and virtual surgical planning.
Pediatric Craniofacial Surgery
Adult Craniofacial Surgery
Microsurgery and perforator flaps
- Montazem A, Valauri DV, St-Hilaire H, Buchbinder D: The mandibular symphysis as a donor site in maxillofacial bone grafting: a quantitative anatomic study. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2000 Dec;58(12):1368-71.
St-Hilaire H, Buchbinder D: Maxillofacial pathology and management of Pierre Robin sequence. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2000 Dec;33(6):1241-56.
St-Hilaire H, Samouhi P, McCabe J: Mandibular subluxation in carotid endarterectomy. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2003 Mar;61(3):406-8.
St-Hilaire H, Weber W, Lumerman H, Ramer M: Clinico-Pathologic conference: Trismus following dental treatment. Oral Surgery, Oral Pathology, Oral Medicine Sep;98(3):261-6.
- Montazem A, St-Hilaire H, Diamond J: Pneumomediastenum following orthognathic surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2004 Jul;62(7):892-4
St-Hilaire H, Buchbinder D: Tongue flap in maxillofacial surgery. OMFS Clin North America. 2000 Dec;33(6):1241-56
- Kopp W, St-Hilaire H: Mucosal preservation treatment of mucocele using CO2 laser. JOMS 2004 Dec;62(12):1559-61
- Anastassov GE, St-Hilaire H: Periorbital and midfacial rejuvenation via blepharoplasty and subperiosteal midface rhytidectomy. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2006 Apr;35(4):301-11.
St-Hilaire H, Buchbinder D: The use of free tissue transfer in the management of mandibular osteoradionecrosis. JOMS 2006 Jun;64(6):961-4.
- Kirschner M, Montazem A, Hilaire HS, Radu A: Long-term culture of human gingival keratinocyte progenitor cells by down-regulation of 14-3-3 sigma. Stem Cells Dev. 2006 Aug;15(4):556-65
- Edden Y, St-Hilaire H, Benkov K, Harris MT: Percutaneous liver biopsy complicated by hemobilia-associated acute cholecystitis. World J Gastroenterol. 2006 Jul 21;12(27):4435-6.
St-Hilaire H: Tale of a displaced resident. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006 Aug;118(2):551
- Lee JC, St-Hilaire H, Christy MR, Wise MW, Rodriguez ED: Anterolateral thigh flap for trauma reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg. 2010 Feb;64(2):164-8
St-Hilaire H, Mithani SK, Taylor J, Simmons OP, Singh N, Rodriguez ED: Restoring the failed cranioplasty: non-anatomic titanium mesh an perforator flap. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Jun;123(6):1813-7.
- Mithani SK, St-Hilaire H, Brooke BS, Smith IM, Bluebond-Langner R, Rodriguez ED: Predictable patterns of intracranial and cervical spine injury in craniomaxillofacial trauma: analysis of 4786 patients. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Apr;123(4):1293-301.
- Kelishadi SS, St-Hilaire H, Rodriguez ED. Is simultaneous surgical management of advanced craniofacial osteonradionecrosis cost-effective? Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Mar;123(3):1010-7.
- Rodriguez ED, Stanwix MG, Nam AJ, St Hilaire H, Simmons OP, Manson PN: Definitive treatment of persistent frontal sinus infections: elimination of dead space and sinonasal communication. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Mar;123(3):957-67.
St-Hilaire H, Mithani SK, Rodriguez ED. Microvascular salvage of the intractable oral vestibule. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Jan;123(1):331-8.
- Rodriguez ED, Stanwix MG, Nam AJ, St Hilaire H, Simmons OP, Christy MR, Grant MP, Manson PN: Twenty-six year experience treatment frontal sinus fractures: a novel algorithm based on anatomical fracture pattern and failure of conventional techniques. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008 Dec;122(6):1850-66.
St-Hilaire H, Wise MW, Freel A: Pediatric facial fractures. Children’s Hospital CME, September 2010.
- Wong, R, Gandolfi B, St-Hilaire H, Wise MW, Moses: Clinical performance of hydroxyapatite cement in secondary pediatric reconstruction. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. 2011 January; 22(1):247-51.
- Levy JM, Eko FN, St Hilaire H, Friedlander PL, Melgar MA, Chiu ES.: Posterolateral skull base reconstruction using the supraclavicular artery island flap. J Craniofac Surg. 2011 Sep;22(5):1751-4.
- Goenjian HA, Chiu ES, Alexander ME, St Hilaire H, Moses M. Incidence of cleft pathology in greater New Orleans before and after Hurricane Katrina. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2011 Nov;48(6):757-61.
- Joseph, G, Dupin, CL, Wise, MW, St-Hilaire, H: Composite fronto-orbital reconstruction using a chimeric subscapular flap. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. 2011 Nov;22(6):2199-201
- Singh, M, Bui, CJ, St-Hilaire H: Aplasia Cutis congenita. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. 2012. March (2):88-90
- Chan JW, Stewart CL, Stalder MW, St Hilaire H, McBride L, Moses MH: Cost-effectiveness analysis of endoscopic assisted craniosynostosis release. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. J Craniofac Surg. 2013 Jan;24(1):170-4.
- Winters, R, Saad, A, Beahm, D, Wise, MW, St-Hilaire, H: Total autogenous mandibular reconstruction using virtual surgical planning. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. J Craniofac Surg. 2012 Sep;23(5):e405-7.
- Stalder, M, St-Hilaire, H:Immediate Osseous Genioplasty with K-Wire Fixation for Revision of Infected Alloplastic Chin Implant. J Craniofac Surg. 2012 Sep;23(5):e446-7.
- Mayo JL, Dupin C, St Hilaire H.: Outcomes in autologous breast reconstruction. J Am Coll Surg. 2013 Jul;217(1):172-4.
- Saad A, Rebowe RE, Hogan ME, Wise MW, Hilaire HS, Sadeghi A, Dupin CL: Localization of the Dominant Deep Inferior Epigastric Artery Perforator by Computed Tomography Angiogram: Does the Standard Deep Inferior Epigastric Artery Perforator Flap Design Include the Dominant Perforator? Ann Plast Surg. 2012 Dec 13.
- Saad A, Winters R, Wise, MW, Dupin CL, St-Hilaire H.:Virtual surgical planning in complex composite maxillofacial reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013 Sep; 132 (3): 626-33.
- Sanchez R, Ward K, St-Hilaire H, Mussell J: Basicranial venous anomalies associated with complex nonsyndromic craniosynostosis in a child. J Craniofac Surg. 2013 Nov; 24(6):1970-3.
- Pena S, Brickman T, St-Hilaire H, Jeyakumar A: Aggressive fibromatosis of the Head and Neck in the Pediatric Population. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology-accepted for publication